Thursday, February 26, 2009

Extreme Engineering

The series 'Extreme Engineering' from the Discovery Channel a few years back was recently added to the streaming section of Netflix. Thanks to my Roku Netflix box I can therefore watch them right on my TV. I have watched three of them so far, one on widening the Panama Canal, one on the Big Dig, and one on the Gotthard Tunnel in Switzerland. I have really enjoyed them! However, these construction projects really put the cost of the recent bailouts in perspective. For instance the Gotthard Tunnel is a 35 mile tunnel under the Swiss Alps that will end up being the largest tunnel ever built. They made a point in the documentary of trying to shock the viewer with just how expensive it is... 7 billion dollars. That is mice nuts compared to what our government recently gave to just AIG alone!

No comments: